Welcome to my blog. Here you will find my adventures with my family and friends. Thanks so much for stopping by.

I'm so enjoying this wonderful world of blogging where I have met and made so many new friends.

Please leave a comment when you drop by so I can visit your blog and get to know you too
.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

AUSTRALIA DAY 2017

26TH   JANUARY
The day we celebrate the first white settlers landing in Australia and claiming this land for England in a time when European nations were exploring and annexing newly discovered territory.

A public holiday when families and friends get together at the beach, or for friendly games of cricket  or just a backyard BBQ.

We eat steak, lamb roasts and snags (sausages) followed by pavlova and lamingtons and in our case

Vanilla Slices !

I've never attempted this delicious treat before.
In fact I haven't eaten one for decades.
But I saw a recipe on an Australia Day site and decided to give it a go as the recipe sounded easy.

Two thin sheets of puff pastry containing a thick chunk of delicious sweet custard and capped with passionfruit icing.


So far, so good !

I approached the cutting into slices with trepidation.
The recipe said to use a serrated knife and all will be well
and so I did !

Success !


Oh my !

A million calories per serve but oh so sweet and tasty.

Just get rid of the rest of this to the neighbours
and back on the diet tomorrow.

Oh wait, tomorrow is the first of the year's Cocktail Nights !

Perhaps Monday ???


Cheers.

16 comments:

  1. Happy Australia Day Helsie! Those vanilla slices look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They certainly tasted great Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I love a vanilla slice as a treat and bought some in Marks & Spencers this week. Yours look pretty good. You reminded me I still have them in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tasted good Rachel but not good for my diet. My weight is going up instead of down :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sue. They were easy to make too, the cutting up was the hardest part and even that turned out well !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on creating your first vanilla slices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stuff the calories! Stuff the diets! Your vanilla slice looks delicious! I love vanilla slices...and one in a while...not often...only about twice a year...I shout myself one from the local bakery up here. I might just have to sneak into the bakery sometime or other in this coming week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble with making them is there is a lot of them to eat Lee. Back to the diet today. I'm not losing much weight !!!!

      Delete
  8. Wow! That looks totally delicious!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I know what I'm having with my morning coffee when we go out today! I haven't had a custard slice for years.

    ReplyDelete